Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Who Sets the Bar?

I have thought alot lately about all my roles and to the extent of which I stretch myself on a daily basis to be perfect at all of them. I have really been feeling the pressure these days. Well, we all know that perfection is all in our head and as elusive as it is we still sometimes strive for it like we might actually get there. Silly, right? I just wonder whos sets the standard for me that I am trying desparately to achieve each day?

Well, when I really sat and thought about it.....the answer was pretty obvious and dissapointing. I realized that I AM THE ONE setting these expectations out on myself to be perfect as a mom, wife ,friend, co-worker, boss, employee, daughter, sister.....you get the idea. Umm....that is alot of pressure when you put it that way. So, after alot of talking it out with a friend a work and taking a step back I came to a few conclusions. Not novel ones but ones that helped me refocus.

If anyone else is having adjustments pains as a new mom now or they are to come just keep an open mind and don't imagine what your world should look like. Know what works for you and what your specific family setup should look like and what your needs are and go from there. You do not have to be PERFECT and no one expects that. I am totally preaching to myself!

So, from now on I am lowering my standards for myself.....not that I feel like I don't need to be challenged but I am going to do it in a healthy way. No more pressure to never be tired, to get up at 4:45 am to workout because I feel guilty taking time out for myself, no more saying yes to people and commitments that stretch me too thin because I can't let go of the fact that I should be able to do it all personally and professionally.


I am thankful for my friends and family and realize that all this time I spend trying to be perfect makes me miss time with those I love the most. They just need me and not the super busy crazy focused version of me. Just me being there and present and happy and unstressed with things that do not matter is what will make them happy and fulfilled. This little man is what it is all about and he brings me an infinite amount of joy each day :)



1 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a wonderful person and have always been an overachiever! I would love to see you focus on all things you excel at. Remember, you get more done in one day than most people are able to accomplish in a week! Hang in there.